Monday, April 7, 2014

Roosters and Coins - Family Easter Challenge


Each day as we approach Easter, I've been trying to focus the children in on different parts and pieces of the Resurrection story, with a variety of toys, crafts, activities and desserts (of course).  This morning, along with our usual morning muffins, and an Arch book from our Easter collection, I set the table with three beanbag roosters (thanks to fast, and easy to follow sewing instructions from Red Ted Arts) for the younger children.

I also added a plate of 30, silver foil wrapped, chocolate coins to generate discussion amongst my teens.

When they got up, I asked them to identify the events symbolized by the roosters and the coins.  The book on the table was a pretty big clue (most of the details can be found in Matthew 26, if you aren't familiar with the story).

Then, after breakfast, I asked the older children to locate and read the Bible passages about Peter's denial, and Judas' betrayal, as well as the events and prophesies leading up to, or following them.

Finally, I pulled out our old, dilapidated, dry-erase board, so they could brainstorm together a list of similarities, and differences between the two disciples, and their actions. Meanwhile, the younger children read the picture book, and headed off, roosters in hand, to learn how to juggle (the roosters were a huge hit).

The older children, motivated by the promise of chocolate coins after lunch, spent the morning flipping through the Gospels, and the old testament prophesies, Googling commentaries, and weighing the difference between genuine and counterfeit faith, compassion and judgement, and Godly versus worldly sorrow.

Godly sorrow (like what Peter felt) brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow (as we sadly witness in Judas) brings death.  2 Cor. 7:10 NIV

5 comments:

Phyllis said...

I love the use of the symbols of the rooster and the silver pieces in this activity. Great job!!

Dawn said...

What great activities.
Blessings, Dawn

Unknown said...

Cock-a-doodle-doo! What a fun way to discuss some not-so-fun parts of the Easter story...

Ticia said...

I love this comparison of the two people who messed up, I hadn't thought of doing that before.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

You know, I reflected a lot on Peter's actions, and I still don't get why he "got off easy" after denying Jesus three times. I suppose the main lesson here is that we can commit really bad sins and still be forgiven if our repentance is sincere?