Monday, August 16, 2010

Symmetrical and Asymmetrical Sugar Cookies - Fun With Math

Since we started the day with a lesson in symmetry, I thought we might as well carry it on into snack time. So, when the girls asked if they could make cookies, I had them search through the cookie cutters for shapes that could be cut both symmetrically, and asymmetrically.


I helped them mix a batch of sugar cookie dough, adding cocoa to half the batch, and rolling it out, so they could cut two of each shape, out of the vanilla, and two out of the chocolate dough.


Then, they cut one set of each of the shapes symmetrically, and one set asymmetrically, and mixed up the chocolate and vanilla pieces.



After the cookies were baked, and cooled, as the children ate their snack, I challenged them to tell me which cookie, on their plates, had the chocolate, and vanilla, that were basically symmetrical in shape, and which had asymmetrical pieces.


We cheated a little, and went from oldest to youngest, to make it easier for the youngest two, who in this instance, did pretty well.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

So, so, so, so, SO much fun! I will be doing this someday...

Ticia said...

a nice yummy math lesson.

Christy Killoran said...

Delicious and fantastic! I love it.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

One day you're going to write a book: 101 lesson plans using cookie dough! Great activity. :)

Sherral said...

What a great way to teach symmetry! Good thinking!

Joyful Learner said...

Your posts always put a smile on my face. Love the symmetrical and asymmetrical sugar cookies! I wish I can have some. :)

Feel free to add this to math links. It would be a wonderful addition!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Love it - glad to see baking returns to your math studies :) Totally agree with Christianne's comments - you need to write a "Yummy Math" book.